These gluten free bliss bites will brighten up any hiking adventure when you need something delicious and nutritious with a cuppa tea. You can also package them up as Christmas gifts for your friends. They’re gluten free, dairy free, and vegan – making them the perfect crowd-pleaser!
- 300 grams pitted dates
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup raw cacao
- 50 grams of crystalized ginger
- 4 tablespoons extra strong freshly plunged espresso coffee
- 2 cups roasted shredded coconut
- 2½ cups roast slivered almonds
- ¼ cup roast buckwheat
- Optional: 100grams of dried tart cherries OR 100 grams of dark chocolate covered freeze dried strawberries, roughly chopped
- Roast slivered almonds, shredded coconut and buckwheat in a moderate oven until golden and crunchy and cool completely.
- Blend pitted dates, almond meal, cacao and ginger in a blender or food processor until finely ground. Slowly add the espresso coffee until it becomes a sticky dough.
- Add roast coconut, roast slivered almonds and roast buckwheat and blend till they reach your desired crunchy nutty texture. I like the nuts chopped but still crunchy. You might prefer the nuts roughly chopped or finely chopped into the dough, so do what you love.
- Gently mix, stir or hand knead the tart cherries OR dark chocolate-coated freeze-dried strawberries into the mix.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and press the mixture down firmly with your hands then with a rolling pin. Use your core for a micro-workout! For extra firm bites, put fresh socks on, place a small tray on top of the mixture & stand on the tray to press the mixture into the block.
- Refrigerate overnight and cut into 1.5cm squares and pop in the fridge until you fancy a delicious, nutritious snack. Or package up these gluten free bliss bites for super yummy Christmas gifts for friends who have everything!