This nourishing bone broth recipe is based on an ancient tradition known for its healing properties and can be one of the few things we fancy when we’re bed bound. This is a simple recipe, but it does require 48 hours of loving attention as it slowly simmers away to produce a delicious, nutritious savory nectar guaranteed to delight people and pets alike.
This nourishing bone broth is the perfect healthy base for soups, stews and risotto. Alternatively, you can drink it like an elixir and enjoy the healing benefits.
How to make this nourishing bone broth
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, diced
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1.5kg chicken bone carcasses
- 2 celery sticks or leafy tops, diced
- 2 small swedes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 + liters of water
- Heat oil and fry onions till golden. Add ginger and garlic and stir.
- Add chicken bones and lightly brown.
- Add celery, carrot and swede and stir.
- Add water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 48 hours, adding extra water every 4-6 hours.
- Pour the soup through a strainer, pressing the contents firmly to extract your delicious broth. If you like nibbling the meaty bones, you can also serve without straining.
P.S Your pets will love the leftover bones and meat!