Why You’ll LOVE Tassie
By Di Westaway | CEO Wild Women On Top | Entrepreneur | Author | Speaker | Adventurer
Unzipping my tent to the surreal reflections on the glassy surface of Lake Elysia was the perfect way to welcome in the new year. And if you haven’t experienced this World Heritage treasure in central Tasmania, put it on your bucket list now!
At the southern end of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, is a secret nook so stunning that you’ll gladly lug your 16kg backpack to see it.
A lot like the fiord lands of Norway, this land of lakes, tarns, dolerite peaks, beech forest and lush mossy carpets of green, is truly exquisite. However, it’s known for exciting weather so pack your Gortex.
Here’s 5 reasons you just have to get strong and fit enough to carry your tent and treats on your back and visit the Tasmanian wilderness:
- Fresh Water: You can drink the water straight out of the pristine streams and lakes
- Accessible: You only have to carry your full pack 3-4 hours a day to go magical places
- Secret: You’ll find gorgeous camp sites with nobody else for miles
- Photogenic: All you need is your smart phone and you’ll capture breathtaking scenery
- Fun: Heaps of side trips and cool rocky peaks to clamber up for jaw-dropping 360-degree views
- Tracked: There’s heaps of exciting easy to follow trails so it’s hard to get lost
And if you don’t like the sound of carrying a full pack, invest in some of the new light weight trekking gear and you could even get your pack weight down to 12 kg. Stuff like Arn Packs with front pouches, Tarp Tents that weight less than a kg for two, and Wild Women On Top light weight recipes to ensure you eat delicious nutritious food.