Tania's Epic Crackers Will Spice Up Your Cheeseboard
By The Wild Women On Top Team
Seeds are hard to get into your diet at the best of times. They're super good for us, so we should try to pack more in where we can.
These healthy crackers are the solution to your seed (and your cheeseboard) problems. The recipe comes from our Co-owner and Managing Director Tania Taylor and this snack is sure to become one of your staples.
Not only are these seedy crackers super healthy and packed full of goodies, they keep well in airtight containers, they're easily transported on multi-day hikes, and they can be used in sweet or savoury contexts. Slather it with vegemite if you're feeling savoury, or coat them in honey if you're feeling sweet.
- 40g almond flour
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g of pumpkin seeds
- 50g flaxseed
- 50g sesame seeds
- 10g psyllium husk powder
- A pinch of salt
- 60mL melted coconut oil
- 225mL boiling water
You can substitute any of the seeds for others such as chia, buckwheat or linseeds as long as you have 200g of seeds. You can also add chilli flakes or different spices to jazz these up.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees fan forced
- Mix all the dry ingredients (salt, seeds and psyllium husk powder) in a bowl.
- Add the boiling water and oil and gently mix together using a wooden spoon.
- The dough should form a ball.
- Wait 10 minutes for the flaxseed to absorb the water and become gelatinous.
- Once everything is mixed in, spread the dough onto a large lined baking tray.
- Place some baking paper on top of the dough and flatten into a thin layer with a roller or place a second tray on top of the first and press down until flat.
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes or until golden brown (watch carefully as the seeds are very heat sensitive and can burn quickly).
- Turn off the oven and cut the crackers into squares while still soft with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Place back in the oven (turned off) and allow the residual heat to dry out the crackers while cooling.
- When cool – snap crackers into pieces and serve with guacamole, your favourite cheese, or hummus.