Lorraine's Baked Pumpkin Is The Ultimate Pre-Hike Meal
Recipe by Lorraine Tawse, shared by the Wild Women On Top Team
Our Wild Women know how to cook, baby! The women in our community know how to turn a salad into a main event, and a boring vegetable into a sexy side dish.
This baked pumpkin and creamy nut sauce recipe comes from our Wild Woman Lorraine and it's absolutely mouth-watering. It's the perfect addition to a hearty meal and it's vegan friendly. Plus, you can use the creamy sauce on any vegetables to give them a good hit of flavour and deliciousness.
For The Baked Pumpkin
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 Kent or Queensland Blue pumpkin, washed, cut across middle, seeds removed – use half for this recipe (or make double!)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbs finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbs finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tbs whole fennel seeds
- 1 tbs whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius, fan forced.
- Lightly score the pumpkin into wedges, rub small amount of coconut oil over skin and place skin down on baking tray.
- Warm the garlic, ginger and spices in the remaining oil in a pot until aromatic and pour over pumpkin. Season with salt.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes until soft (longer if required), then turn oven up to 200 degrees for 10 minutes to caramelise top.
For The Creamy Nut Sauce
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1/2 leek
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup raw cashews, skinned almonds or macadamias nuts (or mix of all)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt/white pepper to season
- Roughly chop cauliflower, leek and add to pot with nuts, bay leaves, garlic and water to just cover.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, rest for 15 minutes, then remove bay leaves.
- Add nutritional yeast, olive oil (reserve 1 tsp for drizzle) and blend mixture until smooth.
- Add salt/white pepper to taste, drizzle with tsp of olive oil.
The leftover sauce is delicious with any vegetables!