Di's Marinated Steak And Salad Will Wow Your Hiking Buddies
Recipe by Di Westaway
This recipe is sure to delight after a long walk with your hiking buddies. Trade the packet noodles for dinner with this delicious, nutritious steak and salad combination. If you're vego, you can substitute the steak for halloumi - it works a treat. This dish requires a little bit of prep at home, but it's so worth it.
For multi-day treks where weight is an issue, substitute avocado and tomato salad for surprise peas. Make the dressing at home and store it in small leak-proof Nalgene bottle so it doesn't spill in your pack.
At home, marinate eye fillet in kecap manis, garlic, olive oil and soy. Some butchers will do this for you and add their own honey soy marinade. The meat can then be cryovaced/ frozen/dried as required.
For The Steak
- 1kg marinated eye fillet steak (allow 100gms per person & for vegetarians substitute with steak with halloumi cheese)
- 500g quinoa (allow 50gms per person)
- 20mL olive oil
- Boil quinoa. If fuel-rationed, bring to boil using absorption method, then wrap carefully in tee-towel and place in bottom of sleeping bag to cook. Allow 20min in sleeping bag and take care not to spill!
- Pan fry steak or halloumi slices ensuring hikers who want rare/medium/well-done are accommodated. This may require you to cook in several sittings. Start the well-done steaks first and do the rare ones last.
- Now, move on to making the salad.
Di’s Tomato, Avocado and Coriander Salad
Ingredients (for salad)
- 3 large avocados, chopped in to cubes
- 5 medium tomatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1 bunch coriander finely chopped (YES – the whole bunch!)
Ingredients (for dressing)
Note: Make the dressing at home and pack in leak-proof Nalgene bottle.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup pink grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt, pepper
- finely grated ginger and garlic.
- Mix all ingredients for the salad.
- Stir in dressing.