Di's Choc-Berry Pavlova Is The Ultimate Summer Dessert
By Di Westaway | Chief Adventure Chick and Founder of Wild Women On Top
This recipe is adapted from a family Christmas favourite to give you an amazing experience of sweet, crunchy, creamy, tangy, melt-in-your-mouth delight in every mouthful. It’s designed for the busy mum who gets more time for hiking by making two cakes from one bake.
These ingredients are designed for a two-layered stack of pav, ganache, cream and berries for that special birthday or a New Years Eve dinner AND a simple, single layer pav for a high tea on the trail.
It's a delicious treat for every occasion. Enjoy!
- 6 egg whites
- 1.5 cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 cups roast slivered almonds
- 150mL fresh pouring cream
- 250gm Lindt Dark Chocolate
- 900mL fresh pouring cream (600mL for the two layer cake and 300mL for the trail pav)
- A few drops vanilla essence
- 3 punnets strawberries chopped
- 2 punnets raspberries
- 2 punnets blueberries
- Preheat over to 160 degrees celsius. Draw 3 x 20 cm circle on baking paper on flat baking trays.
- Beat egg whites till stiff. Gradually add sugar and beat soft peaks form.
- Add vanilla, vinegar and cornflour and fold in roast almonds.
- Bake for an hour then turn oven off and leave to cool completely in oven. Overnight is fine.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and heat over a double boiler (glass bowl over water on stove) with cream stirring occasionally until smooth and irresistible.
- Allow to cool.
Whip 300mls pouring cream per layer with vanilla until thick.
To create your two-layer masterpiece
- Start with meringue base, spoon half the ganache on top, then cover with cream, then strawberries.
- Repeat and decorate with additional raspberries and blueberries.
To create your extraordinary trail pav
- Save the third meringue layer for your next hike. Store the meringue in an airtight container in the oven until needed. It should keep for up to a week if it remains dry.
- Pack your backpack carefully with: pavlova layer in a box, 300mL whipped cream in a plastic container on ice, punnet chopped strawberries and raspberries.
- Find a breathtakingly beautiful location and assemble your cake on a large plate. Don’t forget a big knife, napkins and a good appetite.