6 Tips for Setting Extraordinary Goals (and how to keep them!)
So, how do you set and Achieve Extraordinary Goals to keep you fit and healthy?
1. Be specific – if you want to be fit, healthy and drug free into old age, you need to write down how you’re going to stay fit and healthy, what health and fitness goals you’ll use and when you want to achieve them by. You might choose trekking to Machu Picchu or Everest Base Camp, or climbing Mt Kilimanjaro. You must write this down.
2. Plan your strategy – how will you achieve your goal? What steps will you take day to day to get the results? Plan your daily, weekly and monthly steps: Daily exercise, weekly distance walks, monthy Wild Walk challenges. Write them down
3. Record - How will you record your progress? Who will you be accountable to? E.g. measuring the steps you take each day. Write down your goal somewhere you will see it every day (bathroom mirror, diary, pc..., notice board)
4. Emotions - How badly do you want to achieve your goal? Do you want to be around to play and swim with your grandchildren? Link an emotion or feeling to the goal – how will you feel when you achieve it? What reward will you have if you do? Write this down.
5. Family & Friends - How can you ask your family & friends to be involved to help you achieve this goal? Healthy mums are essential to families so this is an important conversation. Being fit and healthy allows you to nurture others and be a good role model. Most women need to ask for support from kids and partners. Communicate with them about why you need to achieve this goal and ask for their patience while you focus on achieving the goal. Work in some rewards for them too and assure them of your time frame.
6. Changes - What changes can you make to your environment/lifestyle/schedule/home to make it easier to stick to your plan? You might need to get up earlier to fit a pre breaky walk in before the kids wake up, or ride your bike to work or take the kids with you on an activity.
A Big Hairy Audacious Goal with friends or like-minded women, is a powerful motivator because it will force you to get fit. Here’s a few more tips to help you if you’re planning a team goal that includes friends and or family in your challenge. SUMMIT NOW:
S: STAY POSITIVE- You control your thoughts
U: UNLOCK YOUR DIARY: Be accountable every day
M: MAKE PLANS: Written plans in little morsels
M: MOTIVATE OTHERS: Help them achieve their goals
I: IT’S ALL SMALL STUFF: so don’t sweat it
T: T.E.A.M. Together Everybody Achieves More
N: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, Give up!
O: OBSTACLES into OPPORTUNITIES: Around or over
W: WIN WIN: Seek one out every time you come across a problem. See it as a chance to learn and grow.