5 reasons adventure is a must for parents
By Lisa Marshall | Director Wild Women On Top
As parents, we often neglect our 'big kid' self, giving ourselves completely to the not so fun responsibilities that come with parenthood. It's time to incorporate adventure back into your life and here's why!
- Rejuvenation of the body and mind: Adventure is the perfect solution for stress and feelings of frustration. The combination of fresh air, nature, exhilaration and physical movement gives you a "buzz" that lasts longer than your usual morning coffee. You return home feeling re-energized for the kids and the busy week ahead.
- Escape and meditation: Walking in nature is the oldest form of meditation and reminds us how to be in the moment. It allows us to escape from our many devices and to-do lists. It is a chance to breathe, refocus our energy and find the quiet necessary to reflect.
- It inspires wonder: Your kids get excited and inspired when they see that as a parent you still know how to have fun and that growing up doesn't mean letting go of the wonder of discovering new places and experiencing new things.
- It helps you prioritize your time: As a parent, you become so focused on getting the day to day chores done. We often forget to prioritize our health. Living adventurously helps you to become fit and happy so that you can take the kids on adventures too.
- You learn new skills or rediscover old ones: Adventure helps us to learn how to camp in the wilderness, how to play in nature, how to harness mental toughness and resilience when faced with a real challenge, how to laugh in the rain and not worry about getting wet. As a parent, we must accept our status as a role model to our children. Learn so you can teach your children to have fun for free out in nature.
Give adventure a go! Learn how to rock scramble and find secret trails around your own local area to share with your children. Trust us! Taking a few hours out of your schedule to prioritise your body and mind will make all the difference...